Saturday, May 28, 2011

On Moral Ground

"Assuring our own comfort at a terrible price to the future is not worthy of us as moral beings." ~ Moral Ground

I posted the above as my Facebook Status a couple hours ago and received this...

An interesting quote. However, if one loses a football game by one point because time ran out with an unused time out available is also unacceptable, no? Please do me the favor of extrapolating the analogy before answering.


...in response almost immediately from my good buddy Brad down at the radio station.

Now, I haven't known Brad all that long, and the first time we met (over the airwaves; him in his booth, me in my car) we immediately locked horns over his global warming and my climate shift. But Brad and I are brothers by high school and Don Cowan's choirs, and both of us are old enough--he's still The Kid!--and wise enough NOT to talk politics at one another. Moreover, we've done a couple shows together down at the theatre, and I can't help but like the guy, even if I didn't want to!

Clearly, the boy was at the radio station on the Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend and not all that thrilled about it. "Extrapolating the analogy..."??? Well, there was nothing for it but to retreat to the yard and watch the birds and squirrels shower in the sprinkler. So I parried from my cell phone and got back this....

Is not using one's resources for the present (which is the ONLY reality) to protect the possibility of a future (which is at best, fiction) more or less "moral"?


Right away I sensed a problem or two. First, I'm not buying the today-is-the-only-reality construct. If that's the case, why do squirrels bury their nuts? Second, who said anything about not using resources?

Moral Ground simply holds that our species is responsible for the condition our world is in and that we as humans have a moral obligation to make it better for ourselves, our kids and their kids' kids. We have made a mess, and it's on us to clean it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment