Saturday, May 21, 2011

Here's the thing, Lord.....

I've had a good run. I came in with the thirty-three and a third, long-playing phonograph record, and if it should all end today, I'm going out with my lifetime music library on a thumb drive in my pocket.

How many people woke up today disappointed over still being here after this rapture buzz? Thought that by now they would at least be up to security screening on the Stairway to Heaven, right? Well, I wasn't one of them, Lord, and yes, I'm smiling.

My two eldest grandkids, Michael and Diana, came to see us yesterday. They'll be staying until Monday before continuing their road trip across America. Twenty-one years since last I saw and touched these two cubs. Damn near a generation, Lord, and I lived in fear Diana would bring on the next generation before...if ever...I saw her again! The image of Michael I've carried in my mind is a snapshot: two-year-old boy caught from behind, buck naked, holding a garden hose in a suggestive pose, watering his Granny Smith apple tree.

For some time now, Lord, I've been feeling what I imagine Moses felt; standing on that mountain top after a 40-year road trip, looking into that promised land of milk and honey and knowing he didn't make the cut. Oh, I brought it on myself, same as he. If only I had worked harder on memorizing the music....

We formed the Donald B. Cowan Legacy Choir January of last year, 30-something of us from all the Rider A Capella Choirs Don had nurtured, given voice to and directed for 32 years. His last hurrah, as it were, would be a grand reunion concert by a choir composed of all his a-cap alumni, a choir nearly 200 voices strong spanning the years 1961 to 1993 and all coming back to River City from all across the country.

The first of two concerts is June 25 at Memorial Auditorium, the same venue where I last sang with the Rider 1967 choir. Lord, I can never forget that last note of You'll Never Walk Alone dying in that hall, Don smiling as he mouthed "Good bye" and just waving his finger tips to us before turning to acknowledge the audience.

Now, today, begins the final weekend rehearsals before concert week, and I do NOT know the music! It's been praying on my mind since last month's rehearsals. I play the MP3 recordings through my head as I go about my days, but, Lord, these few remaining brain cells must not be as tacky as they once were. Nothing seems to stick. I told myself, "Self, shape up by May or ship out."

But here's the thing, Lord. If I don't make the cut, I'm okay with that. No, I'm good with that. I've had a great ride, helping to form this choir and bonding with a family that transcends blood. Tomorrow is our first dress rehearsal at Aiken Auditorium, and all our family and friends are invited. I'll get to sing with them one more weekend, and my grandkids will be in the house to experience The Greatest Choir Ever!

Lord, it truly is a God thing.

Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment